- This event has passed.
Silo City Ground
October 8, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
At ground level, experience the monumental scale of the grain elevators constructed in Buffalo in the first half of the twentieth century, and also see how they are now being repurposed. On this guided walk around the grounds of Silo City, you’ll learn about the history of the grain trade in Buffalo and the development of the grain elevator, including the construction methods used to build such massive structures. You’ll also learn about how the Silo City campus is being creatively used for arts and culture today and see the redevelopment of some of the historic buildings currently in progress.
The tour meets at Silo City, 120 Silo City Row, Buffalo, NY, 14203. Turn from Ohio Street onto Silo City Row, and enter Silo City through the gate. Follow the signs for Duende parking, past Duende (in the yellow brick building that will be ahead on your right). Ample parking is available on site just past Duende. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length and about .95 miles of walking
Traffic Note: The Ohio Street bridge over the Buffalo River near Silo City is currently closed for repairs. Please plan for additional travel time to follow the posted detours.
- General Admission: $21
- Explorer Pass Members: $16
Required Assumption of Risk, Release of Liability, and Indemnification Agreement for Silo City Tours: Please note that the online reservation process includes this agreement that is required for access to Silo City; a copy will be included in your reservation’s email confirmation.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email [email protected] or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email [email protected] to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please note the terrain at Silo City is uneven, including gravel, potholes, and railroad tracks. This tour does not include any locations to sit during the tour. Please contact us at [email protected] or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.