Buffalo grew from the water’s edge, as the Erie Canal and later the railroads brought unprecedented commerce and industry to the city. This waterfront walking tour will explore the area of the Erie Canal’s 1825 western terminus, which is known today as Canalside and the site of ongoing development as the city returns its focus to the water. The redevelopment of Canalside and new waterfront attractions are featured in this tour, along with the history of the Erie Canal and development of the grain elevator and other waterfront industry.
This tour meets by the intersection of Commercial Street and Marine Drive, above the water of the historic Commercial Slip. Some street parking is available along the cobblestone streets of Canalside, and more street parking is available a short walk away along Erie Street, Commercial Street, and Perry Boulevard. The Metro Rail’s Erie Canal Harbor station is one block away. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length and 1.3 miles of walking.
Walking Tour Prices:
This tour is free for the summer of 2022, beginning June 1st, thanks to the generous support of the New York State Canal Corporation and Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email [email protected] or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email [email protected] to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at [email protected] or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.